Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas from the Jews: What to Do...on New Years!



Being Jewish on Christmas can be tough. However, besides a bit of a cold, the most pressing issues that that come to mind on this holy day usually concern my plans for New Year's Eve, a holiday that I get to enjoy with pretty much everyone, no matter what their family chooses to do on that day. So this year, I know I'll be down in New York City...which borrough, whose house, all of that, I couldn't really say for sure.

What I can talk a little bit about is an elusive show that I've been trying to catch for a year or so, and man does this seem like the night to do it (albeit the price tag is amped up a bit seeing as it's such a "big" night). Yes, that's right, I want to see The New Deal. Their most recent issue, 2003's Gone Gone Gone, is a somewhat apt representation of the band's house/funk/jazz/jam style, but let's face it:

There's no way I'm going to get the kind of light show and brute force of musical dynamics that come with this now storied live show. So, pending the thoughts of some close friends that I will be spending this special evening with, there is a slight chance that I'll cough up the $35 bucks and make my way over to the B. B. King Blues Club and Grill for this after-the-ball-madness.

The New Deal are in the midst of touring, and will cruise their way up to Burlington, VT at Higher Ground along with a few other east coast stops before finishing this leg of the tour in the midwest.

MP3: "Gone Gone Gone"-The New Deal
MP3: "A Little While"-The New Deal

No comments: