Tuesday, February 02, 2010

In a different place, On a different front




Well. Let's get right down to business:

First Item, my radio silence (please, allow me an out of date figure of speech, you savvy bloggers you). Well, I'm in Costa Rica for the semester, and to be perfectly honest, finding the time to keep up on some of my more regular musical habitats and haunts is considerably harder. I'll take this time to offer a healthy damning to publishing contracts and licensing issues that prevent the use of Pandora and Lala outside of the US.

Second Item, above we have the latest release from Gerald Wilson, Detroit jazz-man extraordinaire. I would like to put forth a rather serious suggestion that you take advantage of the link listed below, in order to listen to "Before Motown". I don't know how many of you out there are spending your time with jazz, or modern jazz, but here is a throwback to big band swing, with a bebop groove that just turned my January upside down. Detroit itself is a strong album, featuring a number of lengthy cuts that keep the mind working, yet simultaneously pleased. Note: the oft-under-appreciated jazz violin solo on the album opener "Blues on Belle Isle".

"Before Motown"-Gerald Wilson Orchestra-from the album Detroit

No comments: