Monday, April 08, 2013

Christopher Paul Stelling Set to Release, Er, Unleash 'False Cities'


Last year, I finally had the opportunity to catch Christopher Paul Stelling live down in D.C. The folk torchbearer is a rousing force on record, but his live show is truly something else -- it's down right spiritual. In a world where everything is moving more and more into a digital realm, music has begun to lose a sense of not only originality but humanity, as well. In these modern times, you'd be hard pressed to find something as truly raw, human, and emotionally compelling as the songs of Christopher Paul Stelling. His conviction and passion for his craft is so evident in each string plucked, in each note sung, that it's hard not to connect with his music on some level. He's a folk artist, but at heart, his sound is rooted in the timeless nature of soulful gospel. As I said before, see him live and try to tell me it's not a near religious experience.

Last year, Stelling released his debut album, Songs of Praise and Scorn, after years of turnings heads with his songs. And just over a year later, he's set to self-release his sophomore album, False Cities, next month on May 21st. I'm currently listening to it as I write this, and I can say with great confidence that it's an even stronger statement than his debut. You can pre-order it right now and get an immediate download of the entire thing, which I highly recommend doing. Pre-order False Cities here. If you need some convincing, hear the opening track "Brick x Brick" below. I saw him perform the track at that show in D.C., and I can say it's quite a thing to see live.



Christopher Paul Stelling
Official Site
Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter

No comments: