Friday, May 28, 2010

SEE & HEAR: Yuck - "Georgia"

(Yuck: grandma not included)

Yuck is a quartet from two hemispheres, hailing from New Jersey, Hiroshima, and the UK (at least according to their MySpace). "Georgia" is a blast of pure '90s alternative rock in the vein of Dinosaur Jr. and Built to Spill. As my buddy Asa pointed out, this particular track kind of has a sound reminiscent of My Bloody Valentine pre-Loveless. The lead guitar riff is so undeniably early-'90s but I can't quite place its exact origin. I can tell you that it's definitely an appropriate track for the summer.

Below is the video for "Georgia." Aside from a quick cut to a performance clip, the video is a collection of old footage from a car race. I've always been imbued with a strong nostalgic feeling when I hear band's like this, and watching this video just made me all the more nostalgic. Growing up -- before music ruled my life -- I was obsessed with cars and, by extension, car racing. And so, these two pieces of work match up amazingly well in my book. The aged film is a fitting visual accompaniment to the timeless quality of "Georgia."



MP3: Yuck - "Georgia"

Yuck Blog
Yuck @ MySpace
Transparent

(MP3 link via Transparent's site)

No comments: