Friday, November 12, 2010

LISTEN: Yellow Ostrich - "Hate Me Soon"


Honestly, today I wasn't going to update the site with any new posts, not a single one. There are some posts I'm currently working on, but I had nothing prepared for today. I was going through my inbox and looking at some favorited sites around the web in hopes of finding something to post about, but nothing I was listening to was really hitting me. I went through a bunch of stuff, and even though I liked some of it, I just couldn't find that one thing to inspire me. I'm talking about the kind of thing that you listen to and words just start flowing out of your head, down through your arms, into your hands, and out onto the computer keyboard. Then, I remembered Yellow Ostrich.

Yellow Ostrich is the brainchild of Alex Schaaf. The first time I heard The Mistress, his debut album as Yellow Ostrich, I, naturally, was curious as to how old he was (I tend to wonder such things about bands and musicians). As a musician, I felt slightly defeated and insanely humbled when I discovered he was about the same age as me. Schaaf runs a fine balance between simplicity and intricacy, creating music that is both pleasant and catchy as well as highly textured and active. He's one of those songwriters that is attentive to space, rhythm, and the interactivity between all instruments, displaying an impressive understanding of the power of arrangement. With Yellow Ostrich, Schaaf is especially adept with vocal harmonization, using layered harmonies as hooks, especially on songs like "Hold On" and "Libraries." Check out album standout "Hate Me Soon" below.


Want to hear more? Hear all of The Mistress below. It's available for a "name your price" download.

No comments: