Monday, June 02, 2008

Bo Diddley (1928-2008)

Today, Ellas Otha Bates, better known to the world as Bo Diddley, passed away at the age of 79 from heart failure. He was a true innovator being one of the first musicians to incorporate multiple genres in his music. Popular music's evolution owes just much to Bo Diddley as it does to legendary artists such as Jerry Lee Lewis and The Who.

He was surely a master of rhythm. I am willing to admit that I have never really gone through his work, so I'm not the best person to write on what he means to the history of music. However, from what I've listened to, I can say one thing for sure. When you hear Bo Diddley play, you know whose hands are working those strings. His rhythm and playing are just as unique as his rectangular-bodied guitar.

For more on his life and work, check out this terrific New York Times article.

R.I.P. Bo Diddley

No comments: