Monday, February 22, 2010

John Grant - "I Wanna Go To Marz"



A few weeks ago, I wrote about The Czars' John Grant returning with his debut solo LP, Queen of Denmark. Today, an MP3 from the album was released.

MP3: John Grant (w/ Midlake) - "I Wanna Go To Marz"

The song has to be one of most beautiful things I have ever heard. If magic had a sound, I'd imagine it would not be too far off from this. As I mentioned before, Midlake is serving as Grant's backing band on Queen of Denmark. You can certainly here the band's sound (specifically that flute) spread evenly throughout this track. And while Midlake plays to their strengths here, they certainly do not steal any spotlight from Grant. The chorus is uplifting with a crisp baritone guitar, a simple yet gorgeous string arrangement, and a moving vocal harmony.

The first thing that came to mind when I was listening to this song was the score to "The Snowman." If you're not familiar with it, you can watch the entire thing (it's under a half-hour) below via Google Video. It's an animated piece with no dialogue, driven and supported by its great score. Music, here, is much more captivating and compelling than any dialogue could ever be. The version below was taped from a TV broadcast and features an introduction by David Bowie (!).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Music Video for John Grant's 'I Wanna Go To Marz' -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzWQSabtWLs

Quinn S. said...

Thanks for sharing this!