Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Film Fishin'



-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to the second edition of Film Fishin'. It's a double edition! For those just joining us, this is a feature where I search the net for interesting/entertaining videos, post them, and then do a write-up on them. The writing may be factual and/or reflective. Although it is predominantly music-oriented, every now and again there might be a video that has nothing to do with music (e.g. stunts, ridiculous TV bloopers, etc.). And, yes, I'm still working on a better banner for this feature.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Tonight's video comes from beloved-80s hard rock band Van Halen. Despite being in their prime during a period known for ridiculous get-ups and hairstyles and plenty of cheesy music, Van Halen have never really been lumped together with hair metal bands such as Poison and Cinderella. That is to say, when you and your buddies are talking about how cool they 80s were and someone says, "Dude, man. You got any Ratt?" No one is thinking about Van Halen at the moment, because they are still relevant and not so much a guilty pleasure. Van Halen can still fill up an arena, but I'm not so sure Ratt could still do that on their own. I'm not trying to bash any hair metal bands. I'll openly admit that I am a fan of early Motley Crue and I do enjoy listening to bands such as Twisted Sister and Warrant ("Cherry Pie"...I can't say I'm familiar with much else).


Anyways, the below video is amateur footage (cameraman might be a pro...no offense) taken at one of the band's recent shows.




I obviously don't need to point out what went wrong there. If I were them, I would have just stopped. I mean...something tells me the crowd wouldn't have cared. There's no saving this part of the show when the band kicks in. At first I thought it might just be Eddie way out of tune...but it's obviously not. It's painful to watch, but not nearly as pain-inflicting as this.

At 2:21...


How rock 'n' roll! Nothing wrong with that performance. Jay Reatard appears to put on quite a killer live show, just don't go near him while he's playing. Be advised: DO NOT approach his pedalboard. Please.

I'm going to go check out some Jay Reatard.

By the way...
MIXTAPE MUSE (THE RADIO PROGRAM) RETURNS TOMORROW EVENING AT 7. HEAD TO http://www.goucher-radio.net/ TO TUNE-IN. I'LL BE ON THE AIR FROM 7-8.

No comments: