Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Osmonds Were A Rock 'N' Roll Band, Too

I was always under the impression that The Osmonds was a family band, priding itself on its wholesome pop music. They are a Mormon family that I always felt was kind of a commercial epitomization of that happy, well-behaved, obedient, religious family. Rock 'n' roll was always deemed the "devil's music" and not something a religious person would get involved in.

Anyways, I imagine a scenario something like this:

MOM: "Honey, I don't want you near any of that devil's music -- none of that Black Sabbath or Rolling Stones nonsense. It's pure evil. It'll ruin your life...make you want to do bad things...skip class and smoke doobies. You don't want to spend your life in prison, do you?

KID: "No, mother, but..."

MOM: "Hush up! Now The Osmonds are a great wholesome group. They're the kind of people you can admire, too. They love their God and they are responsible. Nothing wrong with them!"

The Osmonds - "Crazy Horses"

Like me, I don't think Mom was aware that the Osmonds were also a rock band, as well. Granted, whichever Osmond is singing lead doesn't sound as if he's necessarily suited to be a rock singer -- just a bit too much of a clean, pop tone for this number. I don't know which Osmond is on bass, but he has that rock voice, which comes across best in those "demonic screams." Honestly, this song is quite awesome. The first time I watched the video, I thought, "That song slays." I mean, did you ever think you'd hear this coming from the Osmonds?

Really, though...I totally dig this song. That guitar riff is killer.

(video via the tumblr of Fluxblog's Matthew Perpetua)

No comments: