Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cilla K. and Her Alternative Soul


Cilla K., a French West Indian artist based in New York, is what I would best describe as an alternative soul/R & B artist, mixing elements of both genres along with jazz, electronica, modern pop, certain elements of '60s pop, and more. She cites artists from J Dilla to David Bowie as influences and does her best to create something eclectic. Her debut album, Fine Line, was released last month and showcases her mission to create a melting pot of genres. Of the album, she says, "At the beginning, I felt like this album had to be done a long time ago but I kept growing and I always felt like I should incorporate new qualities I had gained with time. Truth is, the timing couldn't be better because it is finally so representative of who I really am."


For Fine Line, Cilla K. worked with Junius Bervine from N.E.R.D. as well as producer David Patillo from Flow NY. It's an intriguing mix of textures and tones and makes for a great listen. Soul/R & B is not necessarily my forte, but I can say that this is definitely something to give a spin. Each track is stylistically different, but it works together with Cilla K. guiding it all. Whether it's the strings ebbing and flowing with the organ that dashes along in "Lost In You"; the live snare, chimes, and crisp, clean channel electric guitar in "Evil Child"; the Radiohead-meets-Jeff Buckley vibe of "Drive You Home"; or the tremolo picked guitar and acoustic guitar chords of "Easy to Love," Cilla K. most certainly succeeded in crafting an album that is both eclectic and engaging.

Keep your ears on Cilla K.

MP3: Cilla K. - "Drive You Home Remix"

Check out "Fine Line," "Black and White," and more here.

Cilla K. @ MySpace
Cilla K. Blog

No comments: