Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Braid Releasing New EP, Download New Song "The Right Time" Now


In high school, I discovered this thing called "indie rock," and then went on to discover all of its multiple subgenres. One of the first band names tied to this special genre that I happened to read or hear was Braid. To this day, I know about as much about Braid as I do about my high school emotions -- which is to say, enough to get by. Semi-abstract, failed attempts at humor aside, Braid was a band that held, and continues to hold, special significance in the world of indie rock -- this I know. While they were active from 1993-1999, their output was primarily deemed "post-hardcore" and also labeled with the often unfavored tag of "emo." All I can tell you -- and all you probably need to know about that period of their existence -- was that it was raw, hard, and beautifully emotive.

The band reunited briefly in 2004 for a "final" U.S. tour, as well as a short run in Japan. Why would I put the word "final" in parentheses? Well, if you haven't figured it out by now, Braid have reunited. Not only that, they have a new EP, Closer to Closed, on the way through...c'mon you know who...Polyvinyl. The 4-song effort is the first collection of all new material in over a decade and the follow-up to 1998's Frame and Canvas. It was produced by the great J. Robbins (Jawbreaker, The Promise Ring, Jets to Brazil, Frame and Canvas), so you know they were in good, nay, great hands. As I mentioned before, I can't say I'm really familiar with Braid's work, but it's safe to say that they've polished themselves up a bit, softening their rougher edges. Evidence of this can be found on the first song released from the new EP, a track called "The Right Time." It's probably the most pop-sounding cut I've heard from the band.

MP3: Braid - "The Right Time"

Closer to Closed is out August 16th on limited edition 180-gram white vinyl, CD, and digital formats. All pre-orders will include an instant MP3 download. Pre-order the EP here.

Closer to Closed Tracklisting

1) The Right Time
2) Do Over
3) You Are the Reason
4) Universe or Worse

And while we're at it, let's revisit a Braid classic.

Braid - "Killing A Camera"


Braid
Official Site
Facebook
MySpace
Twitter
Polyvinyl

No comments: