Sunday, February 08, 2009

Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound: Traveling Through Your Mind's Eye


(Photo: Benoit.P)

Assemble Head In Sunburst Sound - "The Slumbering Ones"

Welcome to the 1970s. Welcome to things you'd never thought you'd see. Here's a song best heard with the lights off -- nothing in your field of vision. The darkness that surrounds you is open to interpretation and limitless. It's a song that heightens your senses and causes your mind to wander. Can't you hear those drones? All the tones washed in reverb? The voices come through in stereo with their chilling beauty nearly ripping through the speakers. It's all monumental in scope and deeply moving when all you hear in the pitch black is the flowing rhythm and haunting atmosphere of this song.

Earlier this evening, I was at school developing a roll of film. Before you can get to developing, you have to place the roll into the developing tank. Any light that touches the undeveloped roll will of course ruin it. The school's darkroom doesn't have any kind of light, which means you have to place the film into the tank in total darkness. When I say dark, I mean dark. I wish I had put this song on my iPod before I left my house. It would have been quite a trip fumbling in the dark to this song. It would have been interesting to have seen what my mind's eye would have envisioned for the mood and texture.

"The Slumbering Ones" is off the band's forthcoming LP When Sweet Sleep Returned out 4/7/09 via Tee Pee Records.

No comments: