Monday, May 14, 2007

Show XXII: "Rainy Day Horns"

"Rainy Day Horns" is the title to a mix I made from songs that were recorded in the 60s and 70s (One track is from 2007). I have seen a few of these songs referred to as early disco. Mainly, the mix consists of R & B from back in the day. You might say that it is predominantly soul music. I am not an expert in this field of music, but I do enjoy music that displays such great passion and emotion. In any case, I have great admiration for these songs. I love the way guitar is used to accentuate the beat, and I love to let my mind ride the notes of the horns. Here are true grooves, true rhythm, true heart, true soul...this music is fun.

Two tracks played during the broadcast were from my friend's iPod. I am not quite sure of the song names, but I can tell you that Lauryn Hill and Ray Charles were played.

The Intruders- "Together" from The Intruders Are Together (Gamble, 1967)
The Impressions- "We're A Winner" from We're A Winner (Universal/MCA, 1986)
Superlatives- "I Don't Know How" from a 1969 Westbound 7" record
Junior Parker- "Taxman (Beatles' cover)" from Love Ain't Nothin' But A Business Going On (Groove Merchant, 1971)
Chuck Jackson- "Take Off Your Make-Up" from a 1974 ABC 7" record
Gloria Scott- "Just As Long As We're Together" from a 1974 Casablanca 7" record
Retta Young- "You Beat Me To the Punch (disco version)" from an All Platinum 1976 promotion 7" record
West Coast Revival- "Feelin' Alright" (LA Records, 1977)
The Kaldirons- "To Love Someone" from a 1970 Twinight 7" record
Dynamic Tints- "Be My Lady" from a 1970 Twinight 7" record
Mark Ronson ft. Amy Winehouse- "Valerie" from the 2007 album Version

Aired: 5/10/07
Check out: www.soul-sides.com

No comments: