Friday, October 22, 2010

LISTEN: DJ Tommy TNT Presents "Devastating Duets"


MP3: DJ Tommy TNT Presents "Devastating Duets"

While checking into a press release I received, I followed a link over to the Dunham Records official site and came across something best described as a "gold mine." Right smack on the homepage, I noticed a link for an MP3 labeled "Devastating Duets," which I initially thought was just a one-song MP3. I have a thing for old Motown/soul/R&B, so I was already sold on checking it out, and it just so happens that Dunham is a sublabel of Daptone Records -- so I knew I was in a good place. To my surprise, the MP3 was actually a podcast; a mix of great duets from over the years. The man behind the mix and compilation is DJ Tommy TNT, who, I'll admit, I had never heard of before. Tommy TNT is actually Thomas Brenneck, the man behind Dunham Records, the founder of the Menahan Street Band, a member of The Dap-Kings (you know, Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings), and a member of The Budos Band. To say the man knows his old school soul/R&B is stating the obvious.

So, hit play and get down. If you're looking for some pure recording gold, you've found it. Great voices, great music, and that aged, warm vinyl sound. See the tracklist for the podcast after the jump.

"Devastating Duets" Tracklist

1) Don & Dewey - "Jump Awhile" (w/ Greeting from Charles Bradley)
2) Otis & Carla - "New Year's Resolution"
3) James Brown & Lyn Collins - "This Guy - This Girl's In Love"
4) Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - "If This World were Mine"
5) Peggy Scott & Jo Jo Benson - "Here With Me"
6) Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - "Good Lovin' Aint Easy To Come By"
7) June Conquest & Donny Hathaway - "What's This I See"
8) Jerry Butler & Betty Everett - "Just Be True"
9) Chuck Jackson & Maxine Brown - "Something You've Got"
10) Ike & Tina Turner - "It's Gonna Work out Fine"
11) Mickey & Sylvia - "Love Is Strange"
12) Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - "I Want You 'Round"
13) Tarheel Slim & Little Ann - "Much Too Late"
14) Tarheel Slim & Little Ann - "I Submit To You"
15) Tarheel Slim & Little Ann - "Forever I'll Be Yours"

The link for the MP3 of this podcast comes directly from the Dunham Records website.

No comments: