Tuesday, November 02, 2010

VIDEO: Cake release self-directed "Sick of You"


While Quinn heads off to his job* or whatever, I'll definitely do my best to bring you the tidbits of music that I find time to wax not-quite-poetic about. I can't promise the same diligence that our all-knowing editor-in-chief has dedicated, but I certainly find time during my freakishly busy weeks to listen to music and why not just tell everyone when it interests me...that's what blog's are all about, n'est pas?

Sometime last night, I caught the Cake newsletter popping up in my inbox. Anyone who subscribes to this email blast knows that Cake  -a band that has taken a lot of pride in doing their own thing, their own way, to their own tune, for a long time now- are wont to randomly announce shows and promotional deals. Their last studio album, Pressure Chief, was released in 2004 and since then John McCrea has repeatedly been the center of rumors that he would retire forever from fronting the band and realize his dream of becoming an organic farmer...but hey, it's all hearsay, right? Despite the gossip, they've stayed together since the last studio album.

Cake has always been a favorite band of mine. You can count on them for a sound that is truly all their own and lyrics that make you laugh, cry, and wonder where the hell they came up with that idea (e.g. You ask me how I make it through/And how my mint condition could belong to you/When I'm on the ground/I roll through town/I'm a president you don't remember/Getting kicked around).**

Well, Cake's done gone and released themselves a video for "Sick of You", off the upcoming Showroom of Compassion, to be released in January 2011. The video is self-directed and full of their familiar commentary on suburban and middle class life (just check out all their songs about traffic). According to the newsletter they've had these bunny costumes floating around "for years...before the Flaming Lips even thought of using their animal costumes".

Current shows and footnotes after the jump.

Tour Dates

October 30, 2010
106.5 The End's Music, Monsters, & Mayhem Halloween Bash
Road Runner Mobile Amphitheater
Charlotte, NC

December 5, 2010
Mountain Stage
Culture Center Theater
Charleston, WV

December 6, 2010
WXDX "Kick Ass Christmas" @ Stage AE
Pittsburgh, PA

December 7, 2010
Rock 101.9 RXP Christmas show @ Irving Plaza
New York, NY

December 10, 2010
KNRK'S "December To Remember" Show
Portland, OR

December 13, 2010
WLUM's "Big Snow Show" @ The Rave
Milwaukee, WI

December 14, 2010
Q101's "Twisted Christmas" show @ HOB
Chicago, IL

December 15, 2010
KPNT "Ho Ho Show" @ The Pageant
St. Louis, MO

December 30, 2010
The Palladium
Dallas, TX

December 31, 2010
Austin Music Hall
Austin, TX

March 18, 2011
The Troxy
London, England

March 19, 2011
La Cigale
Paris, France

Cake on MySpace

*I'm going to paraphrase this because I can't remember where I heard it. There are two mistresses in your life: the mistress of wealth and the mistress of happiness. Everyone thinks that you need to be with the mistress of wealth first in order to impress the mistress of happiness. But they've got it all wrong. What you have to do is seduce the mistress of happiness. When the two of you are deeply in love, the mistress of wealth will get jealous and try to get your attention. (If you can tell me what movie this is from, I'll love you forever.)

**"Dime" from 2004's Pressure Chief


EDITOR'S NOTE: But that's not the reason I (Quinn) got a job.

No comments: