Tuesday, November 27, 2012

WATCH: "Broken Mirrors"


2013 will mark 7 years since the birth of Mixtape Muse. In that time, I've made it a point to never cross my own creative endeavors with the work I do here on Mixtape Muse. So, please allow me a moment to step of character. I figured based on the post below, it only seemed fitting.

For what it's worth, I hate talking about myself.

I recently had the chance to use a Canon C300 at work, which, for those outside the film world, is a very high-end video camera -- one that's ready for broadcast TV or feature-length films. The price tag puts this piece of equipment far out of my reach, but I was able to rent one at work for a shoot. To get acclimated to the C300, some of my co-workers, friends, and I shot a short video. I really wanted to produce something based around an instrumental song, and so I settled on "Broken Mirrors," a haunting yet stunning ethereal piece from Chromatics' new album, Kill For Love.

I reached out to the band's manager for permission to use the song and was fortunate enough to receive the go ahead. I had created a loose storyboard for a plot and for the shots I wanted to capture, which I hoped did the music some justice. We only had a day to shoot, and by the time we all finally met up, we were in a race to beat the sunset. Instead of a full day, we ended up with about four hours to capture everything. In the end, we didn't capture everything, but we managed to film a decent amount, enough for me to cut together what I released today. This is the first time I've ever tried my hand at anything like this -- and it didn't turn out exactly like I had hoped -- but it got me excited to do more of this type of thing down the road. Each experience is a lesson, and this one certainly will serve me well.

Please give "Broken Mirrors" a watch below via Vimeo or YouTube. While I'm proud of what we were able to accomplish, I'd still love to hear what people think -- positive or negative.





Cheers and thanks.

No comments: