Monday, November 01, 2010

The Future of Mixtape Muse


Dear Readers,

Mixtape Muse began in 2006 as a radio program while I was attending college. The Mixtape Muse blog was started, initially, to post playlists from the radio program in addition to a few random music-related posts every so often. I had no real intention of writing about music for a living, and, therefore, didn't see the blog as something other than a place for me to occasionally write about music I was listening to or had just discovered. When I had free time, I would post, but it wasn't much more of a commitment than that -- and frankly, I was even slow to update it with playlists.

Around late 2007 or early 2008, I started receiving press releases from a publicist. I didn't think much of the messages and actually ignored them at first, thinking they were some sort of junk mail. But, the e-mails kept coming, and so, I started checking them out and decided to do a little research on the PR firm. I soon realized that the publicist was working for a PR company that dealt with some of my favorite labels and artists, and I realized my foolish mistake of not paying these e-mails the attention they deserved. This was the spark that helped bring Mixtape Muse to where it is today.

To keep it short, let's fast forward to 2009. By the end of last year, I was so utterly amazed by the contact list I had built up as well as by the opportunities and experiences I was fortunate enough to have had through Mixtape Muse. The amount of mail and writing only increased through 2009, and it increased again this year. I can never, ever thank the publicists, PR companies, labels, bands, and artists enough that have been a part of my journey as a music writer/critic/blogger. Furthermore, I also cannot thank enough the readers, from all over the world, for stopping by the site, reading my(/our) words, and giving the music a listen. It really means the world to me, and it has been such a humbling, inspiring experience.

The intention of Mixtape Muse has been to help expose readers to new music, especially from the independent (or indie) music community. I wanted Mixtape Muse to be a place for music from all around  the world to be heard and discovered. By no means is this a place that has the impact or readership of sites like Pitchfork, Gorilla vs. Bear, or Said the Gramophone, but I'm glad that Mixtape Muse, with the help of its fine contributing writers, is able to shed whatever light it can on great new (or maybe overlooked) music. If Mixtape Muse has managed to get a few ears, hearts, and minds turned on to a band featured here, than I'd like to think it's been a success.

The point of this letter, if you will, is not to announce the end of Mixtape Muse, but to instead explain its future. I graduated from college in May of this year, and was able to blog heavily for the proceeding months. For a few of these past few months, I have been unemployed, which has obviously given me quite a bit of free time to pursue the blog -- almost full-time. But, I do not make a dime writing and running this site. As much as I would like to do it full-time, I cannot because, let's face it, you need money to make it in this world. But let me make this clear, I started and continue Mixtape Muse because I love to do it, not because I have this burning desire to make money through it.

After months of job hunting and money dwindling away, I recently secured a job and have stated that I am available to work full-time. It's not permanent as it's not the kind of job with benefits and what not -- I'm talking hourly pay kind of work. Either way, I wanted to say that, despite not yet knowing my schedule, I do not doubt that the updating of Mixtape Muse will be a bit trickier as I attempt to manage my time for both work and all other aspects of life. I'm sure Simon, Phil, and Max will be updating ever so often, and I will continue to do my best to ensure there is content on the site daily. However, things will most likely be a bit different around here.

Mixtape Muse will continue, and I hope you'll all stick around for the ride. Thank you all for the continued support.

Much love,

Quinn
quinns@mixtapemuse.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good news on the job! It's a step on your way. Keep blogging and always remember, do something you love and the money will follow. Go for it!

Quinn S. said...

:) Thanks for the support

Anonymous said...

From California, a note of encouragement for you, personally, and appreciation for your very professional and highly entertaining "musing" - good luck with everything you do.

Quinn S. said...

Thank you! I really appreciate your note. Glad you enjoy the site.