Monday, November 01, 2010

Jimmy McMillan, "Rent Is Too Damn High" Dude, Releasing Debut Album


A few short weeks ago, there was a televised debate for New York's gubernatorial candidates. While most were expecting a fairly standard debate, it was one man, and his party, that made the biggest impression and ended up being the most memorable part of the whole event. Jimmy McMillan, leader and founder of the Rent is Too Damn High Party, held quite a commanding presence during the debate to the point that Saturday Nigh Live did a spoof of him on a recent episode. If you happened to miss this memorable, one-of-a-kind gubernatorial debate, check out a quick video below.


At this point, you're probably wondering why I'm bothering to bring this up on a music blog. Well, I woke up this morning to a press release announcing the forthcoming release of Jimmy McMillan's debut album, The Rent is Too DAMN High (Volume 1). It turns out, aside from being a prospective governor, leader of the Rent is Too Damn High Party, karate expert, and a former stripper, McMillan is a singer/songwriter and actually released music in the '70s under the name Jimmy Mack. Check out his song "A Woman is So Hard To Understand" -- it sounds like disco-meets-soul -- below, which was a popular track back in the '70s.


Tomorrow, The Rent is Too DAMN High (Volume 1) will be released worldwide on iTunes, Amazon, and other digital music outlets, with a physical release to follow on December 7th. Tracks on the album include "R.E.N.T.," "This is What I Like," "Land Lord Listen Up," "My Place" (sample lyrics: I know you didn’t come to talk / Let’s get it on / We can do it in the hall, in the kitchen / We can do it while I’m talking on the phone / We can do it while I’m moppin’ the floor), and, of course, “Vote for Me.” Of his music, McMillan says in a press release,
I like to listen to myself as I drive around campanigin’. It keeps me focused and gets me really pumped up. I wrote and recorded all these songs myself and never thought anyone would like them. The guitar is my main instrument but I play everything from drums to the violin.
And since the album will be out in time for the holidays, McMillan included what's sure to be a new holiday classic, "Rent Too High Christmas," which features the lines, "Santa Clause got evicted / Cause he couldn’t pay his rent / Now he sleeping in a park, in a tent / Yeah, he homeless." This is going to be awesome. Hear a leaked song from the album entitled "What Is This?" below.

LISTEN: Jimmy McMillan - "What Is This?"

Jimmy McMillan
Official Site
Twitter

No comments: