Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hopscotching With the Weekends

Via this isn't happiness > Amazing Future

I find myself sitting on a wall between Saturday and Sunday. Friday night and Saturday night are now citizens of the past and I can't help but feel like another weekend has slipped through my fingers like the finest grain of sand. Suspended in the moment, I've come to see that I'm hopscotching my way from weekend to weekend. I'm always telling myself, "Oh, it's only Friday night. I've got Saturday and Sunday." But then, before I know it, it's the peak of the weekend -- that wall between Saturday and Sunday. In the freedom of the weekend, I tell myself that my time will be best spent listening to new music, albums that I have yet to experience or wish to revisit. I have to remind myself not to overlook the weekdays, because hopscotching from weekend to weekend only undervalues the importance of ever single day.

I searched for a weekend song, and fate met me halfway. I stumbled across a new Smith Westerns song. It might not be entirely applicable to what I'm talking about -- here it's really about the song title -- but it nevertheless possesses a nostalgic attitude. Weekends are all about nostalgia. If it weren't for the good times on weekends, nostalgia would certainly be a different animal.


BUY: "Weekend" is from the new Smith Westerns album, Dye It Blonde, out January 18, 2011 on Fat Possum. Pre-order it here.

No comments: