Wednesday, May 23, 2012

This Song Won't Leave Me Alone, But I'm Cool With That


A few weeks -- er, months (time, where you at?!) -- back, I heard a song called "New France" by Orbital, an electronic duo out of Sevenoaks, England. At that particular moment, I had no idea who they were, but soon came to discover the duo of Phil and Paul Hartnoll has been making music since 1989. What drew me to the song, outside of its great production and pacing, was its rather incoherent vocal hook, courtesy of Zola Jesus. The only real discernible word seemed to be "lion" -- which I, honestly, only picked up on after watching the song's fantastic music video. Outside of the new Death Grips album, the only other thing I've been listening to is this song...repeatedly. Yes, I see all the submissions coming in, but I haven't had a good chance to go through them all. Sorry fellow musicians! Soon will/sorry if I don't get to it all. For now, enjoy this jam. Hopefully it keeps you motivated to push on.




"New France" is from Orbital's brand new LP, Wonky, out now. It's the duo's first album since their reformation in 2008, and the first new album since 2004's Blue Album.

No comments: