Sunday, August 03, 2008

I Remember, I Won't Forget



Often times when I’m on the road, there’s plenty of time to contemplate things. Whenever I reach a rest stop or what have you, I often get out of the car and for some reason or other, realizing that I am miles away from my friends and home gives me this odd sense of excitement. It may be more a sense of wonder: I wonder what my friends are doing, what that girl I had a crush on in middle school is up to now, how the bass player in my old band is doing, if the nun who was my homeroom teacher in second grade is still alive. I wonder if things will have changed by the time I get back. Nothing is safe from time.

A few years from now, after college, I see myself in the company of friends at a barbeque. It’s late at night and over drinks and burgers, we reminisce about that time some of us played a show to a rollerskating rink packed full of preteens in Ohio. The music playing is probably something fast and pulled from a collectively agreed upon band that we grew up on. I’ll be enjoying the music playing, but in my head I’ll be thinking/playing this song throughout the night.

This is a song that makes me wonder, that makes me wax nostalgic. It’s reflective, and singer Todd Goldstein’s melody will stay with you like some indelible memory of your own past. It’s a mellow number, but each time I listen to it, I feel like if it was sped up and you through in some drums, horns, and a smooth bassline, the song could be a lost rhythm and blues/Motown track from the late 60s/early 70s. I think what really sells that idea for me is the pitch perfect backing vocals.

I would put it on a mixtape for…someone I haven’t seen in a while, for someone going through a rough time, for someone that feels something is missing in their life, for someone lost in the past, for someone who needs to move on.



"Kids Aflame" is taken from Kids Aflame, out now on Melodic Records. Pick it up here or from Amazon.

No comments: