Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Film Fishin': OLPC Commercial w/ John Lennon



It's been quite a while since the last installment of Film Fishin' so let's get right to it.

Tonight's video is the much anticipated commercial for the OLPC (aka One Laptop Per Child) Foundation with John Lennon. I had read that the spot would be altering Lennon's image and voice, so I was pretty interested to see what the end result would be. I mean, we're talking about making a dead man, let alone a really famous dead man, come back to life.

I believe OLPC is a very noble and worthy cause that deserves attention, but I feel as though this commercial will be receiving more attention for its production rather than for its message. The voice sounds a bit too crafted and kind of creeps me out. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condemning the message here; I support it. Maybe I'm just relying on my first impression a bit too much. It's a great message, one that I'm sure Lennon would have believed and supported, but I think the production could have been handled a little bit better. Either way, I'm sure this will bring the OLPC Foundation's cause much more attention than it had before.

Thoughts?



Read more about the OLPC here.

1 comment:

Phil Pucci said...

That is so creepy. Holy cow.